Expressive Art Workshops give people a positive way to handle their anger and pain.
We are dedicated to providing a peaceful, healing, and safe environment for the expression and teaching of visual arts to all community members affected by domestic violence.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Ventura County has the second highest per capita rate of reported domestic abuse in the state, a rate nearly double the state average.
- Husbands or boyfriends kill approximately 30 percent of female homicide victims in the United States
- Females are much more likely than males to be killed by their spouse
- Domestic violence affects at least one out of every four American families
- Reports of domestic violence in the county have been well above average for at least the past 10 years.
This domestic violence campaign ran in movie theaters across the United States and won The best of non-profit advertising and marketing for social causes. 2012 – osocio.org
The campaign emphasizes that "Domestic Violence is EVERYONE'S business", an epidemic affecting young and old, black and white, rich and poor.
How we can help
Having been trained in "Art As A Healing Tool" through our parent organization "A Window Between Worlds", we offer expressive art workshops that help give survivors a positive way to handle their difficult emotions, an essential step in breaking the chain of family violence. Mothers and children blossom during our workshops because we help them remember that they are valued. Art provides them with a safe lifelong tool to explore their feelings, hopes, and dreams, as well as take back control in their lives.